The Gift

The Gift

About Me

My name is Kira and I became a catholic Easter of 2006. My life has changed so much from this and I wanted to write about my experience and invite others to share their's. I was brought up in the church of christ and my family still goes to church there which makes it difficult to talk to them about how much I love my new church home. I wish they could understand but they probably never will. The church of christ did wonders for my spiritual start in life. I know the Bible well and can quote scripture like a pro. :) But there's always been a depth that was missing from my love for worship before that I've found through being catholic. So take what you find here as you will and hopefully it will inspire or challenge,.. me or you,.. or both.

Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Walking the Path


I have been thinking a lot for that past three days about what the next chapter in this story should be. Should I go into more detail about RCIA classes? Should I jump to Easter Vigil? How do I incorporate the things that are happening in my catholic walk today? I've decided that the Vigil deserves it's own post so we will hold off on that until tomorrow.
It has been such a long time since I went through RCIA that I confess I don't remember too many of the details (even though I've since been through it with Kody as his sponsor, the two parrishes did things very differently). The schedule we followed was to meet every Wednesday night around seven for the first three months and then twice a week starting in November. When you start meeting twice a week, you have to attend the Sunday mass at eight and have class after that. Its a very intense process and can really wear you out! When you're in that second half, part of your class is looking at the readings for the upcomming mass and discussing them. I really liked this part because I was not just listening to the readings, but studying them. One of the many great things about the Bible is how you can read a passage you've read a thousand times and, if you're paying attention, find something you never noticed before. This happened to me over and over again.
There was also AMAZING things happening in my life at this time. Prayers being answered much like it was with Mary Ann, this happend all the time and it was GREAT! Dreams that I had where I could hug Christ, feel his chest move as he breathed, and smell his hair. Some things that happened are sacred to me and I don't want to share them on here, but this was such an exciting time and so miraculous in my life. Thinking about it makes me sad that my life doesn't feel that way lately and makes me want to find a way to get it back.
During my classes, I was also a part of a women's retreat team which was incredible! There were dark areas in my life that this amazing group of women helped me to shed light on and prepared me for the time when I would receive the eucharist. I was starving for it. Starving with this incredible hunger that went into my soul. I was worried that I would get to Easter and not know the incredible pressence of Christ in the Eucharist and there would be no way that I would take it if I didn't understand it,... but I did. I totally got it. Every time I would go up for a blessing and pass by Him, I felt it. When I watched the priest hold it up and proclaim that the "Lamb of God" was just out of reach, I'd have to blink back the tears that came from the heartache of separation. I couldn't wait for Easter because I couldn't wait for HIM!

No comments:

Post a Comment