The Gift

The Gift

About Me

My name is Kira and I became a catholic Easter of 2006. My life has changed so much from this and I wanted to write about my experience and invite others to share their's. I was brought up in the church of christ and my family still goes to church there which makes it difficult to talk to them about how much I love my new church home. I wish they could understand but they probably never will. The church of christ did wonders for my spiritual start in life. I know the Bible well and can quote scripture like a pro. :) But there's always been a depth that was missing from my love for worship before that I've found through being catholic. So take what you find here as you will and hopefully it will inspire or challenge,.. me or you,.. or both.

Monday, October 18, 2010

I Finally Got To Do It!


I have never had a more fulfilling duty than to hand out the Eucharist to God's people. As a Catholic, I have watched people do it over and over again and while I thought it was amazing, I was never into the idea of helping. I liked resting on my knees and waiting in prayer to go and walk down the isle to Jesus. I loved how much I felt like a bride walking towards receiving my heavenly treat. The Eucharist has very powerful meaning to me and sometimes I think I come across as sacrilegious when I try to express my hunger for "Jesus food". But I feel just the opposite. It is so powerful and yet so simple. God simplified. Only God has the power to make Himself obtainable in a way we can relate to. We understand eating. Food to humans is not just about nourishment (although that is important) but it feeds our soul. We eat on dates, with family, very special holidays, etc. Food is an important part of our lives and when we are at mass, we receive the MOST important part of our lives IN food! ..... I said all that to say: I really love the Eucharist.
At our parish in Texas, I wanted to lector. The problem with that is they didn't need lectors,.. they needed EMs (Eucharistic Ministers). So I tentatively signed up and,... LOVED IT.
I was so overwhelmed by how nervous I felt before I got up there, but how calm I was next to Him. It can be quite confusing when you are not used to it: who is old enough, who is Catholic (although I personally think God doesn't mind), are they crossing their arms or not, why do you insist I put it on your tongue,.. but overall it is AWESOME. (selfish note: you get to hold the Body of Christ in your hand a lot longer when you're an EM... which is really great!)
This Sunday I overslept (bad Kira) and went to the 11 mass instead. I saw the EMs looking around and thought they might need help. (It was just me there, Kody was hunting and Braxton was sleeping at Grandma's). They welcomed me with open arms and I was nervous and excited as always. I was nervous because it was my first time at this new parish and there are a few different rules here that I have to remember. I was a bit klutzy, walked the wrong way here and there but I generally did OK! ;)
As I was handing out the Body of Christ, I was thinking about writing this post and noting how wonderful it is when people open up their hands to you to receive Christ. It was symbolic to me of them opening up their hearts! God was using me as his servant to help Him give His Son to His people. What an honor!
Once you have become an EM, you are hooked for life. It's a drug that you can never stay away from. It is a serving high that feeds you in ways you might have never imagined. If you are thinking about becoming an EM in your parish, you should...but beware!!! You'll never be free from the love you will feel from holding the Son of God in your hands and sharing it with the people of God.

2 comments:

  1. Kira -

    This is very inspiring! I'm glad you are doing well. I'll pass this on to the gang at MBS Choir.

    David Savage

    ReplyDelete